Thursday, December 5, 2013

Update and Gluten Free Cinnamon Roll Recipe



Hey there my bloggy friends! It's been quite a while. I hope all of you have been well and that you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

I have a yummy recipe to share with you today, but first I wanted to let you know why I haven't posted in a while. There have been so many things going on over the last couple of months, but the most stressful was when our house caught fire a month ago. I will be sharing the whole story with you in a later post, but let me just say, it's something I hope I never go through again. Thankfully, the damage wasn't too bad, but we are still waiting for construction to begin on our house to repair the roof, part of our kitchen, and the outside wall of our kitchen. As thankful as I am that things were not any worse, I am sad to say that this experience has caused me and my kids to feel very fearful now. My youngest daughter, who is eighteen, has struggled with fear a great deal throughout her life. Our house catching fire was one of her biggest fears when she was a little girl, and she was the one who woke up and came out to see our kitchen on fire that Wednesday morning last month. This has definitely been a tough thing to walk through, but again, I am so very thankful that all of my family is fine and that no one got hurt. The damage to the house can be repaired, but my family cannot be replaced. Please be sure to tell those special people in your life how much you love them because I can tell you from experience, life can change in a matter of seconds.

Okay, so let me get on to the yummilicious recipe I have for you. Ever since me and my daughter's went gluten free a little over a year ago, we have had to either do without certain yummy baked goods, or find a gluten free recipe that comes close to the original. Well, I found a great gluten free cinnamon roll recipe on the back of Bob's Red Mill Pizza Crust package. I fixed those yummy little treasures this morning and I have to tell you, they were absolutely amazing! They will definitely be a very satisfactory substitute for us. I found a recipe on Pinterest for the glaze to go on top of the cinnamon rolls when they were done baking. The only thing that would have made them better would have been a cup of coffee. Let me know if you try this recipe and how you liked it. Happy baking!

















Gluten Free Cinnamon Rolls:

Dough:
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
yeast packet (enclosed in package)
1 cup warm water
3 1/4 cups GF Pizza Crust Mix
Rice flour for dusting

Filling:
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tsp. ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 375*F.  Add 1 tbsp. of the sugar to the warm water. Sprinkle the yeast packet on top of the water  and let sit for 5 minutes. Cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, making sure to blend in completely.

Add the yeast mixture to the butter/egg mixture and blend. Add in the pizza crust mix; blend two minutes. Heavily dust a two foot long sheet of wax paper with rice flour. Spread batter over the length of wax paper, about 19 inches. (Make sure to keep your hands wet with warm water when working with the dough because it will stick to your hands like crazy if you don't.)  With wet hands press the batter outward to fill the sheet. Once the batter evenly covers the wax paper, brush melted butter over the batter from edge to edge.

Combine the cinnamon and sugar and then sprinkle mixture over the batter from edge to edge. Pick up the short end of the wax paper and begin to carefully roll the batter over itself like you would a jelly roll. (Be sure to roll it pretty tight or else it will be too loose when you pick it up after rolling it.) Cut the roll into 1-inch pieces and gently place the disks into the 8 x 8 -inch greased pan. It is okay to crowd them.

Let the rolls rise in a warm place for 30 minutes. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven, cool until the butter stops bubbling, then flip out onto a plate. (I didn't flip mine out since I mixed up some glaze to put on top after they came out of the oven.) Makes 8 cinnamon rolls.


Glaze/Icing Recipe:
2 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. brown sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 cup powdered sugar
milk

Put the butter in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat until butter starts to bubble. Then add your brown sugar and vanilla. Mix together. Add powdered sugar and mix. (It's okay if it looks thick it won't stay that way once you start adding milk.) Add milk a little at a time until it is the consistency you want and mix well. (Add only a tablespoon of milk at a time because if you add too much it will be too thin.) As soon as my cinnamon rolls came out of the oven, I put the icing on top and let it sit there for a few minutes before serving.

I'll be back soon my friends! Until then, be blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment