Friday, May 11, 2012

Leaning On The Arms of Love


"Two are better off than one, because together they can work more effectively.  If one of them falls down, the other can help him up. But if someone is alone and falls, it's just too bad, because there is no one to help him." ~Ecclesiastes 4:9&10

Welcome back friends!  How has the week been for you?  This has been a very emotionally and physically draining week for me.  I spent the majority of the week doing some extensive, spring cleaning, which has caused a substantial increase in my pain levels.  As hard as I try to keep a positive attitude, and I do try very hard, I am not always Little Miss Sunshine when I'm in a great deal of pain.  Thankfully, I have a very loving, understanding family, who shows me much grace during those times.  Do you beat yourself up when you have a bad day, or when you mess up?  We are only human and we all have times when we fall short.  It doesn't make you any less valuable or loved.  If we were perfect then we wouldn't have needed Jesus to come and pay the great price for our sins.  Give yourself grace when you're having one of those days dear friends.  Let's get started with today''s message!

I have found over the years that God has ways of opening doors, closing doors, and bringing just the right people into your life, at just the right time.  God brought a wonderful friend into my life at the same time I was beginning to get a hold on the fact that I needed to change the way I think.  She had already been through her own struggles with abuse, rejection, and self-worth issues, as well as stinkin' thinking.  She was on the other side of this mountain and had tasted freedom in these areas.  She was kind enough to share her journey to freedom with me.  She was someone I felt safe with.  She was someone I opened my heart to and allowed her to see the things I was struggling with.  She had compassion and understanding for what I had been through and where I currently was.  I shared things with her and she didn't belittle me, or make me feel like my problems weren't a big deal.  She really listened to me.  We all want to be heard.  How many times have you shared things with someone and you felt like they just weren't listening?  Hearing someone and really listening to them are completely different things.  Listening requires you to put your own attitudes and opinions aside and focus on what the other person is saying to you.  We are drawn to those we can be open with and feel that we are being heard.  My friend not only shared her knowledge and understanding with me, but she loved me and prayed for me.  Her encouragement and love has played a huge part in my journey to freedom.  There were many times where she would talk to me for hours to help me through some rough patches, and there have been quite a few of those over the last several years.  I know without a doubt that she was meant to be in my life to help me gain freedom from the negative thought patterns I had struggled with.  As hard as it was, it would have been much harder without her encouragement and love.  My friend has a wonderful blog that I encourage you to visit.  Her name is Veronica and here is the link: http://silentcries-veronica.blogspot.com/  I know you will gain more understanding and wisdom from the things she shares.


Here are a few lines from the song, Lean On Me, by Bill Withers. Most of you are probably familiar with this song, but if you haven't heard it before, here is a link to the lyrics and even a video of Bill Withers singing it: ( http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/b/bill_withers/lean_on_me.html ) It's an oldie, but a goodie!  The lyrics of this song are very powerful and speak of what true friendship should consist of.

Lean On Me-

Sometimes in our lives
We all have pain
We all have sorrow
But if we are wise
We know that there's always tomorrow

Lean on me, when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
'Til I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on


Isn't that what we all want?  To have someone to lean on when we go through those hard times, as well as someone to rejoice with us in the good times....someone who truly listens to us.  This is where I will close for today friends.  Join me on Monday for my next message entitled, "Boundaries, What Are Boundaries?"  Here is something for you to think about over the next few days:  You may be saying, "I don't have a friend like that in my life."  God knows what you have need of and I truly believe He will bless you with just the right people at just the right time.  Please understand dear ones that there is One who is always there for you and gives you His undivided attention.  He will not interrupt you or ignore you.  He is there day or night, whenever you need Him.  He is a friend who will walk beside you and let you lean on Him when you feel that you can barely take one more step.  His name is Jesus.  His love for you is greater than any love you will ever know, so why not open your heart and share everything with Him.  He is a friend, who sticks closer than a brother.  He can be trusted with your heart.  Until then my friends, be blessed! 

Scripture Verses to Encourage You:

There are “friends” who destroy each other, but a real friend sticks closer than a brother. ~Proverbs 18:24

I'm no longer calling you servants because servants don't understand what their master is thinking and planning. No, I've named you friends because I've let you in on everything I've heard from the Father. ~John 15:15

Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.~John 15:13

2 comments:

  1. How touching, Sherry. Thank you. The words to that song say it for me, "...for it won't be long til I'm going to need somebody to lean on." You have been a wonderful listener too and I praise God for the gift of you in my life. I'm so happy to see the growth and freedom you've found and how God is using it so you can help so many others. btw, who's the lady walking with you in the picture? I love all the pictures you post in your blogs. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome my friend. You have been such a blessing to me. Your understanding and love have enabled me to move beyond the walls I had built around my heart, because of past hurts, to a place of walking in freedom. It feels so good! I am so thankful the Lord brought our paths together when He did. He is so good! The woman in the photo with me is my wonderful cousin, Crystal. She has been such a help to me over the years. I think of her as more of a sister to me than a cousin. She's a blessing! Thank you my friend! I love you too!

      Delete