Friday, June 29, 2012

Fancy-Free Friday


"Peace does not dwell in outward things, but in the heart prepared to wait trustfully and quietly on Him who has all things safely in His hands." ~Elisabeth Elliot


Happy Friday to you my friends!  I hope you had a good week!  Today I would like to share a few recipes that you could make for the upcoming 4th of July, or anytime this summer. 

My hubby has planted a garden for the last couple of years now, and if you've ever had home-grown veggies from your own garden, you know there's nothing quite like it.  My husband got his first tomato from the garden a few days ago, and used it to fix a fried egg, country ham and tomato sandwich.  I had to laugh when he took the first bite and exclaimed, "Life is good!" If you've never had tomatoes, fresh from the garden, you just don't know what you're missing.

Okay, so the first recipe is squash casserole, by Paula Deen (The Lady & Sons Too!).  I have made this casserole several times and it is so good.  I took it to a ladies get-together once and they raved about how yummy it was, so I think you will be pleased with it.


Squash Casserole:

2 cups cooked mashed yellow squash (I cooked it in a little olive oil in a skillet till it was soft)
2 cups Ritz cracker crumbs
1 cup evaporated milk
1 cup shredded cheese, such as Cheddar or Swiss
1 cup chopped onion (I didn't use onion because Brittany abhors onions)
2 eggs, lightly beaten 
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
Pinch of sugar
6 tablespoons butter (You know if it's Paula Deen, it's gonna have lots of butter)

Place the squash in a large bowl.  Add the cracker crumbs, milk, cheese, and onion, and stir well.  Stir in the eggs, salt, pepper, sugar, and butter, and pour into greased 1-quart casserole dish.  Bake @ 350 degrees for 40 minutes.  That's it!  Trust me, if you love squash, you will love this recipe!



Oven Roasted Corn on the Cob:

4 to 6 ears of corn, or however many will fit in your oven (keep it in the husk because it holds in the moisture)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Place corn directly on oven rack and roast for 30 minutes, or until soft
Peel back husk and silks, add butter, salt and pepper

I found this recipe by Tyler Florence.  I have not tried it yet, but I am a huge fan of roasted corn on the cob.  I remember eating it as a child when it was cooked in the ashes of a campfire.  Oh, it was so good!  Here's a link to the recipe I found online: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/oven-roasted-corn-on-the-cob-recipe/index.html



Homemade Chocolate Ice Cream

1/2 gallon milk
5 eggs
2 1/2 cups sugar
2/3 cup chocolate/cocoa (or you can always use fruit too if you don't want chocolate)
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt

Heat milk on medium heat until warm.  Combine eggs, sugar and salt in a separate bowl.  Add chocolate or fruit.  Add all ingredients to warmed milk.  Add vanilla.  Place in ice cream freezer.  Add enough milk to fill freezer.  Homemade ice cream is one of the best things about summertime!  This recipe comes from one of my husband's cousins. Enjoy! 


Until next time my friends, be blessed!  Have a great weekend and stay cool!



No comments:

Post a Comment