Thursday, June 7, 2012

Pearl of the Day: You Can Trust Him With Your Heart




"Trust- reliance on the integrity, strength, ability, surety, etc., of a person or thing; confidence."

Trust can be a very difficult thing for many people.  I include myself in this statement.  Our hearts and our trust get battered and bruised by the things we go through when someone breaks the trust we have in them.  Sometimes it literally feels like our hearts are being ripped out.  If you've been through a storm like that, you understand exactly what I mean.  Trust isn't something you give easily once something like that occurs.  Trust can sometimes take years to restore.  We pull back and withhold our trust because we don't want to take a chance on getting hurt again.  It's like a defense mechanism to protect the fragile state of our hearts.  We are afraid of putting our heart out there again.  Being cautious to trust again is not a bad thing, in fact, it can save you from being hurt needlessly.  Most of us base our trust in people by how they've treated us.  We want to know that they can be trusted with our hearts.  The problem comes when we withhold our trust from God because of the trust issues we've gone through with people.  I did this for many years.  I would trust God when things were going well, but as soon as something hurtful or difficult would arise, I would draw back and put that wall up again.  I had the misconception that if I went through difficult things then God couldn't be trusted to keep me safe and protect me from those things.  I thought, if He really loved me then I wouldn't be going through these painful things.  Thankfully, I have learned over the years that the things I go through are not an indicator of how much God loves me, or if I can trust Him.  The messed up ways that people treat us is in no way a reflection of God's love for us.  The love God has for you is much greater and much deeper than any love you will ever know here on this earth.  God can be trusted with every part of your heart and your life.  He wants you to trust Him completely.  People change, circumstances change, feelings change, but God never changes.  That right there should give us such a tremendous amount of comfort and peace.  You can trust that He will NEVER change.  We can rest assured that His love is unending and His mercies are new every morning.  God has promised to NEVER leave you, NEVER forsake you.  Now that sounds like someone I can truly trust with all of my heart, soul, mind, and strength.  Trust doesn't come easily for me, and to get to where I am today has been a long, painful journey, but my trust in the Lord has grown much more than I ever expected.  As I've learned to trust God more, I've also found that I am more willing to open myself up to others and trust them.  Trust is a foundational aspect of any healthy relationship.  If you're in a relationship where trust has been broken, please know that it can be rebuilt if both people are willing to work at it.  It won't happen overnight, in fact, it may take a while before it's rebuilt, but God can help you overcome whatever has caused this break in trust.  Open your heart and allow Him to start the healing process.  God has proven Himself to be most trustworthy indeed.  Will you open your heart and trust Him today?


Lean on, trust in, and be confident in the Lord with all your heart and mind and do not rely on your own insight or understanding.  In all your ways know, recognize, and acknowledge Him, and He will direct and make straight and plain your paths. ~Proverbs 3:5-6 (AMP)

And they who know Your name [who have experience and acquaintance with Your mercy] will lean on and confidently put their trust in You, for You, Lord, have not forsaken those who seek (inquire of and for) You [on the authority of God’s Word and the right of their necessity].  ~Psalm 9:10 (AMP)


No comments:

Post a Comment