Wednesday, November 14, 2012

30 Days of Thanks- Day 13: My Home

"He is happiest, be he king or peasant, who finds peace in his home." ~Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

Welcome back friends! I'm a little behind on my posts, so there will be two today. Let's get started!

For Day 13 of my 30 Days of Thanks, I am thankful for my home. As I was growing up, after my mom and step-father got divorced, we had to live in some really run down places because that's all my mom could afford on what she made as a waitress. Being a waitress was all she knew how to do, and she didn't have a high school diploma, so there weren't a lot of options available to her. My mom had to quit school and get a job when she was a junior in high school because my grandfather got hurt and wasn't able to work anymore. My mom and grandmother both had to go out and get jobs so they could support the family. My mom was a darn good waitress though. She worked hard everyday and put in a lot of hours for a little bit of pay.

I used to feel intimidated when I would go to other people's homes that were so much bigger and fancier than mine. I used to feel like I didn't measure up because my home wasn't as big. I know that sounds kinda silly to measure your worth based on something like that, but that's what I did. I thought I had to act a certain way or look a certain way to be acceptable and liked. I thought my house had to be perfect. I was so concerned over what others would think about me, or if they would approve of me. My self-worth was in the toilet, so to speak. I didn't realize back then that my worth and value was not based on anything this world has to offer, not in what I looked like or what I wore, or where I lived.  It is based solely on God's love for me; always has been and always will be.

Looking back at some of the places we had to live in, and how I grew up, makes me all the more thankful for my home. It's not anything fancy by any means, just your average three bedroom home, but what makes it so great is that it's filled with much love and joy. I didn't grow up in that kind of home. It was filled with arguing, yelling, screaming, crying, hitting, and fear. I am thankful that God brought me through all that to where I am today. I still have a long way to go, but I'm moving forward, even if it's sometimes baby steps at a time.

Until next time my friends, be blessed!

"Nothing can bring a real sense of security into the home except true love." ~Billy Graham

“A house is made of walls and beams; a home is built with love and dreams.” ~Unknown




No comments:

Post a Comment